Sunday, August 16, 2009

going to school, to go to school, to go to school



Well, Dear Readers, it is true; Gramps is officially returning to school this September.  In the interests of long-term-planning I have decided that a career change is in order. It is not that I do not like being a tennis coach -- in fact, I like it just fine, thank you -- but as I move further into grandpahood I realize the limitations of my current profession (i.e. the demands on one’s body, the lack of job security, no health or dental benefits, pensions, union, relatively low wages in BC., etc.). This move is also the result of my realizing that for me it is not the tennis that attracts me to coaching, but the opportunity to use tennis as a venue for the thing I really enjoy -- teaching.  


I have some colleagues who love the game so much that they get involved in coaching as a way of staying connected to tennis; these are the people who play tennis when they are not working, watch tennis on a regular basis, and lookup results from the previous day of international competition.  I have great respect for a lot of these people; to be so devoted to and interested in something is admirable.  But, alas, I am not that person.  I do not play tennis in my off time (I’d rather go skiing, fishing, to the beach, for a bike ride, cooking, reading, etc.) and I certainly don’t follow the results of tournaments I didn’t even know existed.  But, I do love teaching people how to play tennis. That’s where the good stuff is.


So, Reader, I have decided to follow in the footsteps of my parents and grandmother. Earlier this year I asked UBC what it would take to apply to Teacher’s College; I sent my transcripts and everything.  Apparently, I overspecialized in university and need to complete a lab science, Canadian history, Canadian studies and, my personal fave, a math course before I can even apply to the program.  I’ll be doing two of these courses online (history of BC has begun in earnest, almost) and two in person in September.  


Anyway, I’m back in school this September so that I can go to school next September, so that I can go to school as a career.  Funny how things work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment